Thursday, July 18, 2013

Moving day is around the corner

I just wanted to take a quick minute.  I'm not sure for what.  As Moving Day actually gets closer it becomes more and more tense around the house.  I am sad to leave the friends that I haven't seen in over 2 weeks. I am anxious to move into our beautiful but not-quite-what-we-were-looking-for rental. I can't wait to be a real family again with a mom AND dad (Ryan has been on business or working in Phoenix since June 14th!)

I am also excited to see what lies ahead and here is why... Our rental search began probably the day after Ryan started at Drive Time (in April) and we heard Phoenix was a possibility.  We were told to not bother searching for a place until 2 weeks out...BIG mistake.  But, that didn't really matter because Ryan wasn't available to even look until about 2 weeks before.  Ryan was in Dallas, Texas for training for two weeks and didn't get back until June 29th- then he started work in AZ on July 1st and that is when the hunt began!  He saw about 15 houses, together over the 4th we saw about 7 more and we thought we found THE one.  We put in an application and we waited.  I called at least once a day. We sent in supporting documents. We were promised the house time and time again.  Even as of noon on Monday we were told we were just waiting final approval from the owner!  We had even gone to what would be our "new" ward on Sunday just to meet people.  Well, Monday a little before 5pm the call came on my home phone. The gal on the other end said, "well, we had two applications on the place..." my heart sank a little bit then, but they told us just at noon we had the place...but then, we didn't.  I was so devastated.  We had spent the weekend driving around the surrounding areas so I'd have an idea of where gas stations and grocery stores are..all for nothing.  I was so sad.  This little neighborhood had felt like home from the beginning.  I was also so angry because all that promising led us to believe we were set so Ryan and I didn't look at more homes for back-ups while I was in AZ with him for the weekend.  Now, it was all on Ryan who had just started a new job, in a new place, with new people to manage.  I felt so guilty for not being there with him to carry this burden.

Ryan carried on the house hunt while I cried and packed for a "fun" family reunion...even though I couldn't eat or sleep and we were picking up a moving truck in 11 days with no where to call home.  The boys and I made to the reunion which was actually a pretty good distraction...most of the time.  Ryan searched and searched and had to deal with realtor's schedules not lining up with his, being stood up by appointments, trying with and without a realtor... it was so tiring for both of us.  Ryan put in another application on Wednesday for a beautiful home that was 45 minutes from work- but if we got this place he could still have come home for the weekend.  Well, 24 hours later, we had been fully checked out, passed all the necessary background checks, credit checks, rental history...and this owner had a conscious and said he needed to wait just a few more days to let the first applicants get their info together...talk about ironic!  Both times the people went out of their way to say what a great application we had but they just had to give it to someone else.

We are now only 7 days from moving day and we still have NOTHING.  I'm in bed with my kids at 8:30 just crying and trying to get some sleep to stop stressing about the whole thing.  Then my angel sister reached out to a friend of hers in the area who happened to know of someone who knew someone trying to get out of their lease.  Ryan got to go see the place, talk to the tenants, and submit and application...thank goodness.  The only bummer is that we didn't get to have him home with us for the weekend- but by 11am on Sunday we heard back...we FINALLY have a home and not a day too soon!  We found our new rental in Chandler only 5 days before we are scheduled to pick up our moving truck.  Not only that- but we can't even move in until Sunday...and then we learned that school starts on Monday!

It has been long, it has been hard, it has been stressful...but, as I said, I am excited to see what lies ahead.  We feel that Heavenly Father had a very specific place for us and we just had to do it His way in His time and have a little faith.  I am excited to see who Heavenly Father will place in our path, who He will ask us to befriend and serve, and who will become our new family away from family.

I can't wait to get there though so my heart will stop aching about leaving this place where so much life has happened.

No comments: