Friday, March 7, 2008

Quiet Moments

There have been a bunch of "moments" to write about lately. I figured I'd better take a quick minute while Tyler is asleep and try to get everything into one blog. If it is terribly scatter-brained, forgive me in advance!
The other morning started off great. Ty woke up (early) ate, went back down for a nap. Great kid! I got to work out for a whole hour. As I was turning everything off to run back and shower I saw a story on the news that caught me off guard. It was a little piece about photographers that volunteer to take family pictures/maternity/baby pictures for families that know there are problems with their unborn children. They followed this one family from belly shots to hospital shots. They were some of the most poignant moments all captured beautifully. The news went on to talk about how it was easier to grieve if there was proof that this little person existed, because they did, no matter how short their time on earth may have been.
By this point, I am sweaty, stretching, and sobbing- no joke. I felt like such a dork- but there have been so many reminders to me lately about just how lucky I am to have my little guy. Tyler hasn't been the best at sleeping, so we've had many long, late nights together. This, combined with the fact that Ryan has been putting in tons of overtime left me feeling so overwhelmed. Those feelings passed eventually, due in part to reminders like this news story. It just hit me (again) that I am so blessed to have this little boy in my life. Not only do I have him, he is healthy, growing, laughing, and learning right on track. My pregnancy with him was a cake walk, labor and c-section really weren't anything to complain about, and he is here. I used to get so frustrated and loose my patience after the fifth straight hour of crying, but I just realized, how many people wouldn't give anything to hear their baby cry. The simple fact that he was crying and I could hold him and love him, isn't that enough?
Well, I know it is idealistic, but this little moment has stuck with me at least for three days so far. It's funny that I really didn't even cry when Tyler was born. Only now, have I even begun to realize how blessed we are as a family. We have had many fun baby moments in the family lately as you can see from some posts; baby blessings, adoptions, etc. There is another side that is bolstering my faith as a near stranger is waiting patiently as her little 1 week old is undergoing heart surgery right now. I really cannot believe the strength of this woman. How amazing.
Long story short, blessings truly are pouring out right now. As it goes with life, this doesn't mean the challenges stop altogether, but the Lord is definitely smiling on us right now. I am so grateful for my husband, my son, and a family that I know I can rely on in any situation. I also hope that I will remember how good it feels to "count my blessings", especially the next time I am up with a sick baby all night.

3 comments:

{autie} said...

Stumbled upon your blog...just wanted to say hi and that your little guy is so cute!! Hope you are doing well!

The Nelsons said...

Isn't it wonderful how the Lord blesses us? even when things are frustrating and overwhelming, I am able to see how much I've been blessed with and it makes the little troubles less troublesome.

Kris and Kally said...

This is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it with me Laura! Your little guy is your very own eternal blessing!