My grandpa Hammerschalg happened to be a pretty cool dude.
I was just talking with my Grandma and got some good stories out of her so I thought I should write them down before I forget everything again.
My grandpa, Fredrick James Hammerschlag worked on the lunar module? and a bunch of space shuttles, and helped to develop what became corning wear which later became the tiles on the belly of the shuttle?
Did you know that he was sooo important that he was on call during missions? He also got to go up the elevator with the astronauts when they were loading the shuttle to launch. Ya- he's that cool.
Did you know that he had to be flown to Cape Canaveral, Fl and Houston, TX on numerous occasions for his expertise?
He worked hard, but was laid off twice as an engineer. It was kind of a big deal because, back in 1969 engineers didn't get laid off. Once the lunar module made it to the moon about 50 brilliant engineers were laid off before the astronauts were even back on earth.
I wish I had more time with Grandpa Fred when he was here on earth...but I'll have time to get all the really good details when I see him again. I hope I'll learn some more stories soon!
1 comment:
I found out, AFTER I returned from South Korea, that Grandpa helped rebuild some of the bridges that span the river in Seoul. Apparently the whole place needed to be rebuilt after some minor military conflict that the US was involved in ;) I probably went across a bit of his handiwork while I was there. Also, Grandma thinks he was probably working on the StarWars project during the Reagan admin. that has just recently been demonstrated in public. (They use lasers to blow up missiles before they can reach their target.) Cool dude indeed.
Post a Comment